Welcome to Harvest Mama

Welcome to the Harvest Mama blog of wisdom..parenting at 40 and beyond...How many of us are doing this? First timers and subsequent babies...From time immemorial women have been birthing in their 40's and beyond.., so here am I writing for all of us Harvest Mamas out there....and I welcome you all to my little world ,here on this blog

Harvest Mama 4 weeks to go

Harvest Mama 4 weeks to go

Monday, April 4, 2011

and so my decision

So given that only a handful out  of 70% of ovulatory cycles post age 40 are fertile, how would one respond to the question as posed by my obstetrician? I am sure that there are women out there who would see a pregnancy at 40+ as a calamity to be avoided at all costs,my mother for one ...but there are a lot more who would appreciate this as the miracle of life,birth,nature and the whole darn lot!
I am one of those women, after trying for  many years to have a little family and for that last elusive child I was over the moon and NOTHING and NO ONE was going to rain on my parade....
So as the risk of a miscarriage during and post invasive diagnostic tests  is higher than a natural risk of any genetic defects I declined any invasive tests
You must all understand that my daughter who was born when I was 34 years old has Turner's Syndrome and because of my being "in the right" age group for pregnancy no diagnostics were offered as I was not at risk! So I chose to let Mother Nature decide,considering my daughter is a joy and I would not exchange her with any other,nor change the circumstances of her birth for all the tea in China, I faced any "risk" with equanimity and in fact a positiveness beyond my usual state of mind .



No comments:

Post a Comment